Friday, October 10, 2008

Trust

Do you trust your doctor?

Is trust essential to the doctor – patient relationship?

I’ve read several blog posts by healthcare providers talking about trust. In one, the author basically requires trust from her patients. She believes that she works hard to develop a trusting relationship throughout her client’s pregnancies, and in an emergency those clients should immediately acquiesce to her demands because she’s built a relationship on trust, and in an emergency she shouldn’t have to stop to explain the complications, the patients should simply react. In another blog, the caregiver demands that patients who don’t trust him should find other care. In a third blog, the caregiver wants to find a way to study a trusting relationship, and bring the concept into evidence based practice. However, is trust too strong a word for what they really want?

Trust is difficult for me to give. I don’t trust my parents. I sometimes trust my husband, but not always. I don’t trust my daughter. After all she’s only one, and she doesn’t have any concept of the long term consequences to her behavior. I don’t know that I’ve ever trusted a physician. I respect them. I’ve found most of them to be well-educated in matters that I’m not educated in. I’m willing to take their advice because I believe that they’re actually looking out for my best interests, although I have been willing to negotiate other treatment options with them when I believe it’s justified. Isn’t that enough?

I lost all trust I had in my former OB after my daughter’s birth. His lack of communication in an emergency destroyed my respect for him. Without communication, information, or knowledge there is no consent. Without consent, there is only anger, fear, and violation.

My husband lost his trust as well. His was lost due to non-verbal communication during the emergency. He recognized the "Oh shit, I'm fucked" look on the doctor's face before he started verbally communicating. At that point, my husband checked out of the room. It brought up all of his barriers, and he never heard anything the doctor said after that.

Communication, especially during an emergency, diminishes fear. It keeps the patient feeling like they’re still in control even though chaos may be swarming around them. It gives them something to cling to when they’re fading in and out of consciousness. Open and honest communication during an emergency, even if it’s not a full explanation, can keep a patient calm, focused, and rational enough to comply with the needs of the medical staff. Knowing what and why things are happening helps patients to process the event as medical procedures.

It took me several months to find a new caregiver after I left my former OB and my former family practice doctor. I found that I couldn’t stand the thought of having a man examine me. I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop despite the 15 – 20 year relationship I had with my former family practice doctor. Our relationship wasn’t strong enough to withstand the distrust I now experience with male doctors. I even interviewed a new OB at a different hospital. He tried to sound positive and uplifting, but instead came off as patronizing. The last thing I needed was another doctor who believed that he is or was infallible.

It was a fluke that I found this new doctor. I called the clinic to make an appointment to see any female doctor, and this is the one that had an opening. It wasn’t well-researched, but she listened to me. She didn’t let me off with the dismissive practiced answers I had for my pregnancy. She ferreted out answers, and as a result I switched my and my daughter’s care to her. Patients need to develop a relationship with their doctors. I don’t know that it has to be built on trust. I do believe that respect is a strong enough bond. However, it’s difficult to build a relationship when you only see a physician once or twice a year. By having her care for my daughter I increased the number of times I see her in a year to almost once a month. I don’t trust her. I don’t trust any doctor, but I respect her knowledge. I respect her training. I respect her ability to listen to my concerns, and help steer me down a path that meets my needs.

Maybe it is trust, I don't know. Personally I think it's too strong a word, and yet when I researched this issue for the presentation I'm giving at the hospital, this is the word used in all of the articles I found on improving patient care. Patients who trust their doctors are more compliant. Patients who trust their doctors are less likely to file a malpractice claim. Patients who trust their doctors get better care. However, hospitals are adding patient advocates to help facilitate communication between doctors and patients. I wish my hospital had instigated this program before I was a patient.

If it is trust, I know it takes a long time to build, and only seconds to destroy. It's kind of like handing your sixteen year old the keys to the car for the first time only to have them call you 5 minutes later to tell you they've been in an accident. More than likely it will be a long time before you let them drive by themselves again. Eventually you might give them a second chance. I never let my doctor have one.

No comments: