Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blindsided

Why is it that just when I think I'm getting better something blindsides me again?

Several years ago, my co-worker's wife died. My co-worker asked that donations be made in his wife's name to the hospital where I ended up delivering my daughter. I chose to make a donation, so I ended up on the fundraiser mailing list.

Last night, I received a phone call from the hospital foundation. The volunteer was expounding on the great things the hospital provides to the area, but all I could think about was the damage they had caused me. I clammed up, and let her ramble through her spiel. Obviously, I didn't respond in the typical manner because she suddenly stopped mid-sentence and asked if another time would be better. To give myself time to think about what to say, I told her that she could call back another day.

There's no way that I can donate money to this organization. They're more concerned with their expansion plans than providing good care to their patients. They're more concerned with the aesthetics of the birth center than the safety of the women birthing there. I've spend thousands of dollars on counseling. I've taken tons of time off work without pay to go to the counseling sessions. I nearly lost my marriage because they didn't care enough to make sure their patients were treated well.

Obviously this volunteer doesn't need me to go off on her about the poor care I received, but how do I get the point across that their "care" is lacking? I know I can "just say no", but I'd like to give them an explanation why without really delving into the details.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

No comments: