Friday, October 17, 2008

PTSD after Childbirth?

I know a lot of people can't understand how a woman can develop PTSD, post-traumatic stress disorder, after giving birth. After all, it's supposed to be one of the best days of your life. It's a day that's supposed to be filled with joy, sunshine, and flowers. The angels in heaven are supposed to rejoice alongside the new family. Most of the time childbirth works that way. It's painful, but the women put it in the past. They might develop PPD, but that usually goes away.

I was so overwhelmed in the first 6 weeks of my daughter's life, that I didn't realize anything was going on emotionally. It was all I could do to get through those first few days and nights. Yes, I was tired, but all new moms are tired. Yes, I was struggling to physically recover, but all new moms struggle with that too. It wasn't until I saw my doctor again for my 6 week postpartum checkup that I realized things weren't quite right.

I got undressed, and laid down on the table for him to do the exam, and I found myself squirming to get away from the doctor. I didn't want him to touch me. I was terrified. I fought myself into submitting to the exam. I stared at my baby girl sitting in the carseat on the other side of the room praying for the exam to be over. He finally finished up, and I sat up on the table. I asked the one question that had been in the back of my mind for the last 6 weeks, "would a c-section have been safer for me?" It opened up the door for a pretty frank discussion about what had happened. I had never heard the terms uterine inversion, retained placenta, postpartum hemorrhage or D & C until then. Can you believe it took 6 weeks to get the clinical names of the complications I had experienced? I took that information home, and started googling the living daylights out of those terms. I read everything I could get my hands on - journal articles, medical school presentations, and any other reference I could find. I was obsessed. My husband would walk in the door, I'd hand him our daughter, and I'd race to the computer to start researching. I went back to work two weeks later, and at every break or over lunch I'd be googling those terms. I was an expert, but I still felt like I didn't really know what had happened. I finally broke down, and requested my medical records.

So 2 1/2 months after my daughter was born, I realized I had to do something about my mental health. My husband was frustrated with what he called my "OCD tendencies". He didn't like the person I was becoming, and I realized that my behaviour was impacting our daughter. I saw my family practice doctor thinking I had PPD, and I did score high enough on the screening test that it could have been the cause. However, when discussing it, he mentioned that it might be PTSD instead. But, it couldn't be PTSD, right? Soldiers in Iraq get PTSD. The I-35 bridge collapse victims developed PTSD. Childbirth is normal. It's a common part of life, so it couldn't be PTSD. I tried anti-anxiety pills, but they didn't help. After a few weeks of my husband pressuring me to do more than take pills, I finally asked for a referral to a mental health professional.

My husband went with me to the first counseling appointment. Imagine my surprise when the counselor begins introducing herself, and tells us that she's married to Dr. XXXX at XXXX clinic. The doctor who delivered our baby. I was so betrayed that my family practice doctor had referred me to someone that was closely related to my former OB. Since I was paying for the visit anyhow at this point, my husband and I gave her the abbreviated version of the story. She confirmed that it was PTSD, and told us that she could help me even though her relationship did bring up questions. After the visit, I made the choice that I would try to find someone else to help me since I knew I'd always have questions in the back of my mind.

It took several weeks to find someone else. I tried the counseling service through my employer, but that was a fiasco. I finally started googling counselors with EMDR experience. I found the new counselor 3 1/2 - 4 months after my daughter's birth. Once again, my husband went to the first visit with me. We told the story, going into a bit more detail this time, and once again I was diagnosed with PTSD.

I struggled with this diagnosis. I just couldn't figure out how it could be correct, so here's the criteria from the National Center for PTSD:

Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder that can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. A traumatic event is something horrible and scary that you see or that happens to you. During this type of event, you think that your life or others' lives are in danger. You may feel afraid or feel that you have no control over what is happening.
So, how does this apply to me? I was absolutely terrified that night. I thought I was dying, and so did my husband. The doctor made decisions and performed procedures based on inaccurate information that caused me great pain. I wasn't notified of his intention to perform these procedures prior to his performing them, so I had no control, choice, or opportunity to understand what was happening. I was objectified to the point that my husband and I both felt that I was treated like a vessel, and not like a competent woman. With all of the physical complications, I retreated inside myself, and was for the most part unaware of anything else happening in the room. Some things made it through, but for the most part, I was locked in my mind scared, in massive amounts of pain, and consumed by everything that was going wrong. Those feelings continued throughout my stay at the hospital. Questions were given half-answers. The nurses continued to trivialize the experience when I desperately needed validation that the event hadn't been typical. I was weak, and incapable of voicing my true needs. I finally just gave up trying to get answers, and focused on getting discharged. I wanted away from all of the people who were supposed to be taking care of me. I wanted out of the place that had failed to keep me safe. I was traumatized.
I didn't want a PTSD diagnosis. I grew up in a house where my father had PTSD from the Vietnam War. I know that while the symptoms fade over time, this never really goes away. PPD would have been easier - take drugs for a year, and you're all better. This was a gut shot. It never goes away. The nightmares have tapered off, and the flashbacks are becoming less frequent. However, I always have to watch out for triggers. Things like people not listening to me can send me into a rage. A call from the hospital, or catching sight of my former OB at the clinic can send my blood pressure screaming high. I have to remind myself to stay in the present when I'm talking to mom's with new babies. I avoid telling the story of my daughter's birth because my feelings are still to raw. It's a lot better than it was. I'm not as obsessed, but this is the new me that I'm learning to live with.

No comments: