Sunday, October 26, 2008

Birth Rape?

Birth Rape

Isn’t that an ugly term? The first time I heard it, I thought a bunch of radical feminists were making a big deal out of nothing. How can those two words possibly be spoken together? Birth is about innocence. Is there anyone more innocent than a newborn baby? Rape is so ugly, so violent, so brutal. It offended me at the core of my being. However, I think there may be something to it.

Some people believe that birth rape can only occur if a woman has been previously assaulted. They believe that the birth itself isn’t a rape, but that the woman is experiencing a flashback to a prior criminal act. This flashback is so real, that they transfer their feelings about the original assault to the act of giving birth.

This experience impacted me the night my daughter was born:

I’d met this guy six months before that night. At first, I saw him only occasionally, but over time I’d started seeing him once a week. I invited him into my room. After 6 months, I trusted him enough to let him come inside. I was sitting on the bed, and he was sitting in a chair at the foot of the bed while we were talking. All of the sudden, he shoved his hand inside me. I tried to push him away with my legs, but I couldn’t move them. I tried clawing at the sheets to drag my body away from him, but he wouldn’t get his hand out. I was in massive amounts of pain… This couldn’t be happening to me.

Doesn’t this sound like a date rape experience? I trusted this person. I invited them into my personal space. I didn’t give permission for this to happen. I tried to get away. I was violated. I must have had a flashback to this prior crime during my birth if I think birth rape is a valid term.

Now, let me change six words:

I’d met this doctor six months before that night. At first, I saw him only occasionally, but over time I’d started seeing him once a week. I invited him into my room. After 6 months, I trusted him enough to let him come inside. I was sitting on the bed, and he was sitting in a chair at the foot of the hospital bed while we were talking after my daughter’s birth. All of the sudden, he shoved his hand inside me. I tried to push him away with my legs, but I couldn’t move them. I tried clawing at the sheets to drag my body away from him, but he wouldn’t get his hand out. I was in massive amounts of pain… This couldn’t be happening to me.

Does that change you opinion of my experience? Do you believe this behavior is suddenly acceptable? Why is it that behavior that is unacceptable every where else in society suddenly becomes acceptable in a delivery room? Before my daughter was born, I’d never been the victim of a violent crime. I’d always been treated respectfully by the men in my life. No one had ever touched me in an inappropriate manner. This wasn’t a flashback. It’s my reality.

Birth is an incredibly intimate act. It requires you opening parts of yourself that you keep hidden from the world in order for it to happen. It’s deserving of the same respect that women expect when giving themselves to their lover. It’s something to be treasured. If consent is so essential to a healthy sexual experience, consent is also necessary to healthy birthing experience.

It took several months before I admitted that my daughter’s birth had resulted in my birth rape. I didn’t want to admit it had happened. I tried hiding from it. I tried ignoring it. I didn’t report it. I blamed myself for it. But I’ve learned that this doesn’t help, so now I’m talking about it. I’m not sure yet if I’ll discuss this when I meet with the doctors at the hospital, but I’m thinking about it. I know they don’t want to admit that this happens. I know they want to bury their heads in the sand, but someone has to speak out. There was a time when people didn’t believe that one spouse could rape the other, but now we recognize this as a truth. In this time we live in, people believe that a woman in labor cannot be raped, but a time will come when we will believe in this truth also.

No comments: