Monday, February 16, 2009

In honor of Valentine's Day

My husband has been really great during this journey. It's not one that either of us intentionally signed up for, but he's handled it far better than I expected. He's the one who recognized when things were spiraling out of control. He's the one that prodded, and poked, and harassed me into seeking help. He's the one who kept poking and prodding and harassing me into not accepting that medication was going to solve everything. He's been willing to do whatever it takes to get me healthy and happy again.

One night stands out for me. It was the first night that he was staying home with our daughter so that I could have a night out with the girls. He came home with a present. He sat me down on the couch, told me that he loved me, gave me the present, and told me that he wanted us to recommit ourselves to each other.

You see no matter what, he loves me. It doesn't matter to him if I'm fat or thin. If I'm damaged or normal. He accepts me the way that I am right now.

It's an amazing feeling. I can't begin to tell anyone how important or essential that has been to me over the last 21 months. Whatever it takes, he's there.

I wear the watch that he chose for me gladly. It's not my style. I'd never have picked it out myself, but it reminds me that I'm never alone. He got a matching one for himself, and it's just one more sign of our commitment to one another. We wear them like our wedding bands.

So, thanks for being there for me. I love you.

No comments: