Friday, February 20, 2009

Besieged? You don't know the meaning of Besieged.

I read a blog post the other day by a doctor talking about medical (doctor) writers. She happens to really like a specific author, and the quote that she included in her blog was about a doctor feeling besieged.

Besieged is kind of a triggering word for me. I felt besieged at the hospital. Therefore, it’s not a word I’m comfortable hearing in this context. I read through the entire post, and looked the word up in the dictionary. The specific meaning of the word in this context referred to being overwhelmed. I can understand a doctor feeling overwhelmed at times. There are times I feel overwhelmed at work. Everyone from the burger slinging cook at Mickey D’s to the President of the United States will feel overwhelmed from time to time. However, there’s a huge difference between feeling overwhelmed and feeling like your castle walls are being breeched.

I don’t think people really understand what being besieged feels like any more. When the army surrounds your castle, when the gates hang crookedly from the hinges, when the larders are empty, when the well has gone dry, when the foundation is cracked, when the attackers have you strapped to the rack, and your family, friends, and army are being slaughtered then you know the true meaning of being besieged.

This is the way I felt in the hospital. I was surrounded by medical personnel who were supposed to keep me safe, and instead I was nearly destroyed. My personal gates were violently breeched with no warning by the doctor. My soul was emptied, and my emotions had run dry. I felt like I was strapped to the rack with all of the tubes, monitors, and paraphernalia I was attached to, and being tortured by the pain between my thighs. My marriage was in tatters, and my brand new family was hanging together by a thread. I faced endless nights of nightmares. I faced flashbacks during the day. At that point in time you have to make the choice to pick up the pieces, or wallow in the pain, fear, anger, failure, shame, and rage.

I made the choice to reach my hand out for help. I had to rebuild the foundation of my being one stone at a time. I had to learn how to live again, how to love again, and how to have fun again. I had to learn to harness my anger and control my rage. I’ve had to face the reality of my fears, and build a tomorrow I believed was gone. I’ve learned to cope with the anxiety, and I’ve grown stronger.

I’ve been besieged. I’ve been betrayed. I’ve been violated. My new castle walls may not be pretty, they’re pitted and pocked by the previous battles, but they’re much stronger than they were.

No comments: