Friday, December 5, 2008

Giving up my Power?

I was reading a Birth Trauma forum the other day, and the question posed to their site was, “When did you give up your power?” There were some interesting answers. Some women said they gave it up in their childhood. Some said the medical establishment slowly eroded it. Some women blamed their spouses for not agreeing with or supporting their vision of their birth.

Personally, I’m struggling with the question. I think there’s a bit of shame associated with it. It blames the woman by assuming that “she gave up her power”, like it’s always in our ability to have a great birth experience. That no one else or nothing else can violate us if “we just don’t give up our power”. I don’t see choosing to see an OB or choosing to see a midwife is “giving up our power”. I don’t see choosing a hospital or choosing a homebirth is “giving up our power”. You don’t automatically lose your power by making a choice.

I don’t think that’s the way they mean the question. I think they’re assuming that the women responding had typical, uncomplicated pregnancies. They’re assuming that there are no complications that can or should be taken into consideration when making the decision.

However, complications, while sometimes over-diagnosed, can be real. There are times, not all the time, when having your child in the hospital is the safest place for mom to be. There are times when having a birth attendant is the safest situation to be in for both mom and baby.

I have to say the question’s been bugging me. You see, I don’t think I gave up my power by choosing an OB. I didn’t give up my power by choosing to listen to him when complications arose. I didn’t give up my power by choosing to have my baby in a hospital. I didn’t give up my power by choosing an epidural. Let’s face it, I argued myself into an epidural despite the anesthesiologist’s objections to providing it. The doctor stole my power when he chose to perform a procedure without my consent. I didn’t give it up, it was STOLEN.

There’s a huge difference between those two concepts. I have to admit that I didn’t fight to get it back during the remainder of my stay, but that was my choice. I chose to focus on healing. I chose to focus on getting out of that hospital as soon as I could. I chose to focus on me. I didn’t want anything to get in my way, but there again; I guess that is taking back my power. It was my choice; therefore, the power was mine. I didn’t fight for answers; I chose to save my energy to fight for healing.

Maybe having a choice is having the power. Except for the procedures after my daughter was born, I made the choices. They might not popular in the home birthing community, but they were my choices.

No comments: