Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Am I an advocate or a wimp?

So, I feel like I wimped out by choosing to not speak to the doctors tomorrow. I know that it's not so much a matter of wimping out, so much as it's a matter of choosing to focus on fixing myself. However, I tend to use negative phrases or comments to describe myself instead of positive ones, so it's easier for me to say I wimped out.

My counselor told me that I'm becoming an advocate because I chose to provide my doctor with my writings instead of just cancelling. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't want to be an advocate. I don't want to be an activist. I just don't want anyone else to feel the way that I do right now. I don't want another woman to feel like she's powerless. I don't want another woman to feel like she's been coerced into procedures that she doesn't want. I don't want another woman to feel as isolated as I do. I don't want another woman to feel like she has no one to talk to, or no one who understands her. I don't want another woman to feel like the nurses are re-traumatizing her by their dismissive attitude. I don't want another woman to believe that she's worthless, like she's a vessel, like she's nothing. It's a horrible feeling to know that no one believes you count for anything.

I'm tempted to show up at the hospital tomorrow even though they're not expecting me. I'm tempted to see if I can make it through the discussion without breaking down. I don't know. I know that it would be incredibly hard for me to be strong enough in my beliefs that I don't feel like I'm being judged as worthless, ignorant, or unreasonable in my expectations.

In 37 years, I've learned that problems don't go away by themselves. Ignoring a problem won't make it go away. Not talking about a problem doesn't get it resolved. There's a problem in our maternity system. When 10% of women test positive for PTSD after their children's birth there's a systemic problem with the maternity care in the US.

I don't know how we fix it. If there's anyone that understands that complications can be real, that some women need more care or interventions than others, it's me. I know that homebirths aren't the answer to the problem. I know turning care over to midwives isn't the answer to the problem. I know that birth abuse can happen at home, in the hospital, or in a freestanding birth center. I know that midwives, doulas, and doctors can all be perpetrators. I guess that's why I cringe at being called an activist / advocate. Too many people see the solution as being so simple as making homebirths the norm, or midwives the norm.

Maybe it's a simple as making sure that doctors, nurses, midwives, and doulas are making the decision to provide patient centered care. Maybe if we had a more open dialogue between caregivers and their patients on their childbirth philosophies we'd have better outcomes. Maybe if caregivers were more open about how they really practice their craft patients would be able to find a caregiver that provides them with the type of care they desire. Instead we get blind-sided. The on-call caregiver delivers your baby instead of the person you've developed a relationship with. We get stuck with a nurse who's having a bad night, and doesn't want to be at work, so she takes it out on her patient.

It's so hard to make the right choices. No matter what we choose, someone says we're being too inflexible. We're taking risks by having the baby at home. We're taking risks by having the baby in a hospital. We're taking risks by breastfeeding, or we're taking risks by formula feeding. It's enough to make your head spin. Why don't we support each other instead of questioning each other? Why don't we bond together as a team instead of looking for the saboteur?

Advocate or wimp? I don't know. I know I won't let this drop.

No comments: