Friday, September 5, 2008

What's with the title?

30 minutes

That's the length of time it took my blood pressure to fall from 180 - 190 / 110 - 120 to 50 / 30.

That's the length of time it took for my uterus to turn inside out after my daughter was born.

That's the length of time it took for the hemorrhaging to take it's toll on me.

That's the length of time I was allowed to expel the placenta before the doctor shoved his hand elbow deep in my hooha and tried to manually extract it without a working epidural.

That's the length of time it took for my doctor to forget that I was a capable, autonomous, intelligent, and educated woman who should have been allowed to remain an active participant in my own healthcare choices.

Why do they forget this? It's such a simply concept. We hire them to be our guide. We ask them for advice. We expect them to explain our choices, and guide us to the appropriate decision. They aren't our parent. They aren't our boss. They aren't our god. Ultimately the choice should be ours. Why do they forget that in the heat of battle? They are a consultant, and their words should be listened to, evaluated, and a decision rendered by us.

Choice is a difficult topic. We should be allowed to choose caregiver and location. We should be given enough information during our appointments to feel comfortable with the choice we have made. We should be given honest answers about their childbirth philosophy, instead of finding out when we arrive at our birth location. Childbirth doesn't render us mute or stupid. It doesn't negate our decisions. We are expected to make choices about our children's healthcare once they're born, why can't we be allowed this same right before they arrive? After all, we have to live with the decisions that are made.

I acquiesced to many interventions I didn't want. I gave in to the induction because I couldn't consistently control my blood pressure. When I gave into that intervention, I knew that I was giving in to the Pitocin and the amniotomy. I was giving in to the continuous fetal monitoring. I was giving in to an IV. I was giving in to being, for all intents and purposes, strapped to the bed. When I agreed to the epidural, I gave in to the catheter. I gave in to pushing on my back. None of these things traumatized me. I made a choice.

In some ways, I made great choices. It turns out that a hospital is the safest place for ME to birth. Having an OB was another good choice I made. I chose a doctor who truly believes in vaginal deliveries. As long as we kept my blood pressure under 200, he kept letting me labor.

I advocated for myself by fighting with the anesthesiologist for the epidural. I advocated for myself by telling the nurse that the epidural wasn't working even if she didn't listen to me. I tried advocating for myself throughout my stay by asking questions, although given my compromised state I wasn't very competent or successful during my stay.

Trauma came later. It came when I was dismissed, belittled, trivialized, scorned, and ignored. It came when questions were not asked. It came when questions were not answered. It came in a thousand little insults. Patients aren't stupid. They know it's not normal to have 7 IV's in your hands after having a baby. They know it's not normal to spend the first 36 hours in bed without getting up to shower, change a diaper, or give a baby a bath. They know it's not normal to not care where there baby is, or wonder about their care. They know it's not normal to be too weak to get out of the sitz bath on their own. They know it's not normal to still have 5 IV's in their hands on the day they're discharged.

We know when you're lying to us. We know when you're concealing things. We are smarter than you think, and one of these days you'll get your comeuppance.

No comments: